EGM96: The NASA GSFC and NIMA Joint Geopotential Model
- Solve for a 70x70 satellite only solution (EGM96S).
- Add in direct altimetry and surface gravity normals to derive the 70x70 combination.
- The high degree quadrature solution is developed using EGM96S as a foundation, + the surface gravity data, and the altimeter derived anomalies.
- The block diagonal solution is also built on EGM96S, the surface gravity data and the altimeter derived anomalies, AND uses the quadrature solution as a reference.
- Create a combination 70x70 solution that includes the satellite tracking data from EGM96S, the direct satellite altimetry (
GEOSAT), and the surface gravity normal equations to 70x70.
- The final product, EGM96, is a blended solution. It consists of:
- A combination solution to degree and order 70.
- A block diagonal solution from degree 71 to 359.
- The quadrature solution at degree 360.
- The error covariance of EGM96 is complete to 70x70. The coefficient sigmas are complete from l=71 to l=360.
- Note that in EGM96, the reference radius is 6378136.3 meters, and the gravitational constant of the Earth was held fixed at the reference value of 3.986004415e+14 m**3/s**2.
back to table of contents.
back to egm96 home page.
Send questions or comments to:
Frank.G.Lemoine@nasa.gov or Nikolaos_Pavlis@raytheon.com
Last revised January 18, 2006, 16:25 UTC.